Thursday, March 11, 2010

Day 2 - Back to Volunteering: DRESS FOR SUCCESS


Today was my first day back to volunteer-work in probably over a year. While I didn't have any particular work to do when I got there, I did create my volunteer schedule for the following week.

The organization I am volunteering with goes by the name of Dress for Success. More information can be found at www.DressforSuccess.org but, here's a snapshot of what Dress for Success does for the communities that they reside in and support, well their Mission Statement says it best:

"The mission of Dress for Success is to promote the economic independence of disadvantaged women by providing professional attire, a network of support and the career development tools to help women thrive in work and in life."

Why I volunteer? Is it hard work? What do I get from it?

I volunteer for a few reasons. I originally volunteer because I genuinely enjoy helping people. Another reason I volunteer, I'm required to maintain a certain amount of volunteer hours, it was one of the requirements for maintaining my scholarship for school from the Shawn Carter Scholarship Foundation.

Volunteering can definitely be hard work. You can often leave your organization feeling like you've put in a full days shift. And indeed you should. You should leave feeling like you connected, gave, and got back.

At Dress for Success it's no walk in the park for me, on any given day I could be found accepting and sorting a clothing donation, doing data entry or administrative paper work, or
helping to organize their clothing reserve that is used to suit women for interviews and working. It's definitely a hands on job.

And at the end of the day...there's nothing like that feeling of knowing you helped to accomplish someone's goal, you made someone's day, or you made the load lighter for someone. You touched someone where the mark can never be erased - you helped - and your image will forever be etched - in their heart.

Try it, trust me, you'll see.

Your reward in volunteering is not paid in the currency of dollars but in the intangible currency of love, connection, and experience; an asset you'll use along the way.

-Kee

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! How long have you been volunteering? It seems like it's very rewarding. You never know the doors that are being opened up for you and for the people you bless. Keep up the good work cuz, I'm very proud of you. I'm actually seeking ppl who want reading tutors for their children. I'm waiting on one prospect already while I wait for a job to come through.

    ReplyDelete